Saturday, May 17, 2014

Accommodations

Earlier this week, I spoke about the principle of Differentiation.  This is an educational word used to help teachers understand the individual learning needs of their students, so they can alter the curriculum, expectations, or assignments based on what the student himself needs.

I'd like to talk about accommodations today.  Accommodations are tools or assistance given to a person to help them access something or to do the essential functions of their job.  Everyone needs accommodations for something.  For example, there may be an item in a store I really want.  However, it is on the top shelf, and I cannot reach it.  I have to request a ladder to climb to get to the item, or a store associate to get it for me.  Without the accommodation, I would not have been able to access the desired item.



I depend on accommodations to manage my hearing loss.  Without the technology of the hearing aid, close-captioning on the television and the patience of others who repeat words at my request, I would not be able to do my job, attend a regular church service, or interact with others in the manner I do.  My life would be very different than it is today.

Our pastor has started a sermon series about hearing the voice of God.  One thing he has talked about was the idea that we need the Bible to aid us in hearing the voice of God.  He likened it to having "God's hearing aid."  Without the Bible, we wouldn't pick up on what the Lord would say to us.  It would be as if the message was a radio wave without a tuner to pick it up.

Don't try to listen for God without the accommodation He provided.  Pick up your Bible.  Really make it a part of your daily schedule and ask God with the different scriptures mean.  He will speak, if only you tune in and listen.

"For the Word of God is alive and powerful.
It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword,
cutting between soul and spirit,
between joint and marrow.
It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires."
~Hebrews 4:12 (NLT)

What is He saying to you?

2 comments:

  1. I hope you won't mind Kathy ... I would like permission to post "A Silent World" sometime soon on my blog. I will link it back to you. I think my readers would enjoy what you have to say. I look forward to "accessing" it if you are willing to "accommodate" my desire to post it.

    Thanks dear one ...

    Carl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can repost. I love your writing and would enjoy seeing my posts on your blog.

      Delete