Sunday, May 11, 2014

Honoring my Mothers

I am blessed with two mothers.

My mother's name is Karen, and she could be described as a person of great moral integrity.  She is very bright, and could grasp new concepts quickly, and would want to make sure everything is just right.  She is very private and would be mortified that I put her photo out here for everyone to see.  She loves my brother and I, but we didn't always hear about it.  She's a woman of few words, but every word spoken is one of wisdom and grace.

My other mother is my mother-in-law, Connie.  While she is a person of great moral integrity, she is vastly different than my mother.  She is the life of a party, always telling great stories and jokes to make you laugh.  She's a hoot to be around.  She loves attention, and this photo was her idea.

Both of my mothers are believers.

I was reminded of the book of Ruth in the Old Testament.  Ruth was a foreign woman who became close to her mother-in-law, Naomi when her husband died.  Even though Ruth could have gone home, she chose to stay with Naomi when they would go back to Naomi's homeland.  The entire book is compelling, as you can see very plainly the love these two women had for each other.  This verse, often used in weddings, was actually Ruth speaking to Naomi.

"Don't ask me to leave you and turn back.  Wherever you go, I will go; wherever you live, I will live.  Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God.  Wherever you die, I will die, and there I will be buried.  May the Lord punish me severely if I allow anything but death to separate us!" ~Ruth 1:16-17 (NLT)

Let's take some time to honor all the mothers you have in life.  Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment