Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A Lesson About Hope

Charles Xavier talks sense into his younger self
I went to see "X-Men: Days of Future Past" yesterday at my favorite movie theatre.  Normally I wait until a movie is out on Blu-Ray, to get the full experience via the closed captioning.  However, after reading the rave reviews, I just couldn't wait.  This one is definitely worth going to see at the theatre (especially if you have the special "Avon mix" popcorn - a blend of caramel, cheese and butter!).



The movie opens with a bleak scene of war, a war on mutants.  Without spoiling the whole thing, the group has determined the point in history that could be changed to prevent the war.  One of them is sent back in time to try to warn their younger selves and alter the events that lead to this present war.

Their younger selves are racked with problems, and have lost their purpose.  This quest has proven to be more difficult than it first seemed.  There is a turning point in the movie where Professor X is able to talk to his younger self.  He says, "When someone falls and loses their way, it doesn't mean they are lost forever.  Sometimes, they just need a little help."  He also tells himself, "The greatest gift we have is to bear their pain without breaking, and it comes from your most human part - hope.  We need you to hope again."

Surprisingly, it is the concept of hope that is the key.  Xavier renewed his hope, and would not give up on his fellow mutants who were making bad decisions and turning away.  This is the kind of hope God has for us.  This is the kind of hope we are to have in one another.

My friend, Mike Young, posted about this on his Facebook page.  He said, "It made me think of the times I have fallen and felt like I had lost my way.  Feeling hopeless.  Then I am reminded of the greatest Hope ever: the Hope brought to all of us by God's grace through faith in Jesus Christ."

When someone disappoints you, don't lose hope.
When someone falls away, don't lose hope.
When someone fails, don't lose hope.

Yet I still dare to hope
when I remember this:
The faithful love of the Lord never ends!
His mercies never cease.
Great is His faithfulness;
His mercies begin afresh each morning.
I say to myself, "The Lord is my inheritance;
therefore, I will hope for Him!"
~Lamentations 3:21-24 (NLT)

1 comment: