Saturday, May 31, 2014

Unsatiated

The leech has two suckers that cry out, "More, more!"
There are three things that are never satisfied -
no, four that never say, "Enough!":
the grave,
the barren womb,
the thirsty desert,
the blazing fire.
~Proverbs 30:15-16 (NLT)

When I read this proverb this morning, I was captivated.  

I began to think about the idea of satiation.  This is defined simply as "the state produced by having had a specific need, such as hunger or thirst, fulfilled." (Dictionary.com)  The things referenced in the proverbs can never be satiated; they will always require more.  

We are beings that have moments of satisfaction.  We are hungry, we eat, and then we feel full.  We are thirsty, we drink, and then we are satisfied.  In time, the satisfaction dissolves, and we crave more.  If we repeat the cycle, we are satisfied again.

What if you had an addiction that left you with a feeling that you could never satisfy, not even for a moment?  Imagine for a moment that feeling of thirst after working outside.  Imagine if you could not get to a water source, but had to remain outside continuing to work; continuing to thirst.  Finally, someone brings you water, but the water is only a four ounce cup.  You drink, but you remain thirsty.  The desire for water never goes away.  If this went on all week, you would continually think about water.  You would constantly wonder when the next four ounce cup would come, knowing it would relieve the thirst, just a little bit.  Not much work could be done in these conditions.

An addiction takes hold of us in this same manner.  It doesn't matter what the addiction is.  What matters is that something has taken over our minds and/or bodies to consume us.  We long for the desired item, but it can no longer satisfy us.  It doesn't matter if someone tries to talk us out of the addiction, the longing is still there.  How do we overcome this?

I believe we are made to long for God.  We are made to never feel satisfied here.   The more I learn about God, the more I desire Him.  I long for the things in heaven that He promises.  I am never satisfied.  I believe my constant desire for the things of God has helped me manage my old longings for earthly things.  

I lift my hands to you in prayer.
I thirst for you as parched land thirsts for rain.
~Psalm 143:6 (NLT)

1 comment:

  1. Nothing more needs to be said. You said it all. Perfect post.

    Carl

    ReplyDelete