Sunday, April 6, 2014

Strength in Adversity

Isolated tree in the Grand Canyon National Park
I found this photo from one of our family vacations from many years ago, and I was again struck by the single live tree growing right in the rocks of the canyon wall.  I remember thinking to myself, how can that tree get the nutrients it needs from the rock, and how could water remain in the roots long enough for the tree to flourish like it did?

From what I know about plants and trees (very little, I admit, since I can't keep house plants alive), trees need a strong root system to sustain.  Very often the depth of the "primary" taproot is as deep as the tree is tall, and the "feeder" roots spread as wide as the breadth of the tree's canopy.  It seems unlikely that the tree in the picture could have a root system as described.  So, again, what makes this tree grow?  Since we know trees need soil, water and room to grow roots, it would seem that this tree took root in a crevice.  When it grew, the tree held onto the cliff by the roots, which gripped the edges of the joints in the canyon wall.

The tree symbolizes strength in adverse conditions.  It still grows, isolated from ideal soil or water conditions, clinging to the canyon walls to prevent sliding down the cliff.  So many of us could take a lesson from that tree.  How many of us retreat when we are facing adversity?  How many of us hide when life challenges us?  We should strive to be more like that tree, a symbol of perseverance.  When life gets hard, we need dig down into the roots of our walk with God.  Unlike that tree, we are not meant to walk in these adverse conditions alone.  We need to strengthen our bond with daily conversations with God, and with our God-fearing friends and family.  It is only by God, that we can stand strong.

Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away.  Each time He said, "My grace is all you need.  My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.  That's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ.

For when I am weak, then I am strong.
~2Corinthians 12:8-10 (NLT)


1 comment:

  1. You are so right about God being our strength in times of trouble. But ... unlike Paul, I haven't as of yet come to to like it or take pleasure in them. :)

    ReplyDelete