Saturday, February 1, 2014

Creating a Legacy


Superbowl XLVIII has arrived in a flurry of conversation and speculation.  One of the top conversations has been around quarterback Peyton Manning, of the Denver Broncos, and whether he will win and thus become a legacy.  He is the only player in this year's bowl that has already both won a Superbowl, and lost a Superbowl.  Speculators comment that he needs to win this one to seal his legacy.

I've thought about legacy quite a little bit.  How many of us desire to be remembered when our time is done?  How many of us think about ways to preserve what made us for our future generations?  Some people gather photos and seal them in albums.  Others start making a name for themselves publicly by doing charitable acts or donating things.  Still others, like me, journal and blog, hoping that someone actually reads and takes away some nugget of truth we are trying to convey.  Social media (like Facebook) is just a small example of our desires to be known.

What does the Bible say about legacy?  Consider Paul's words to Timothy:

"As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God.  The time of my death is near.  I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful.  And now the prize awaits me - the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return.  And the prize is not just for me but all who eagerly look forward to his appearing." (2Timothy 4:6-8 NLT)

God wants us to serve Him.  He wants all of our work and time to point to him.  The legacy we build is not supposed to be about us.  We are charged to ensure that current and future generations know Him.  I constantly have to check my motivations when I write.  Why do I want to blog?  What purpose do my words have for others?  Does my work actually promote the person of God or His work?  I hope so.

Let's remember our purpose as we gather together tomorrow in front of the television.  There are people who don't know the Lord who could join you in your Superbowl parties.  They may be open to an invitation to your church or small group after laughing and fellowshipping with you.  Be the light in this world.  Create your legacy.

Oh, and Go Broncos!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy ... "Does my work actually promote the person of God or His work?" I would say yes, what you write is usually very meaningful. And you speak of Jesus ... what more can we do?

    I won't be at a Superbowl party, but I plan on being in my Lazyboy watching. And as I do ... I am going to thank the Lord once again for allowing me to be born in this country and to have Peggy by my side.

    We are blessed ...

    Carl Middleton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are. Very richly blessed with what God provided. I enjoyed your blogpost this morning!

      Delete