Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Gifts and Talents


The XXII Olympic Games are scheduled to begin events tomorrow with some new events promised.  I have always enjoyed the Winter Games over the Summer Games, and my very favorite event is figure skating.  This year, the figure skating competition adds a team competition, in addition to the traditional individual events.  This event will showcase the collective talents of ten countries to compete in each of the four disciplines: men, women, pairs and ice dance.  I am looking forward to seeing how our athletes do.  The picture above is the ice dancing part of the USA team: Charlie White and Meryl Davis.  Their precision in dance is beautiful to watch.

I used to be a figure skater.  I still have my skates, and I would still be able to skate without falling (I think).  In my youth, I fell in love with the skaters on TV, and I thought it must be easy.  Let me just settle the question right here: it is not easy.  I learned how to skate without tripping over the toe pick.  I learned how to make those graceful turns and to do the cross-overs (backwards and forwards).  I learned how to pay attention to my skate edges, lean over and skate on one foot, with the other foot behind me above my hip.  This is called a spiral, in case you were interested.  I learned a few jumps and a few spins.  I thought I was doing well.

I found out I was not talented enough for competition.  I did not have the natural talents that the Olympic skaters have.  I practiced and practiced, but I was never able to do the more precise moves, like double jumps or backward spins.  It just wasn't for me.  I was crushed.  I have not skated in years.

God bestows upon us gifts and talents.  Talents are the natural things we can do as a product of a specific combination of genetics.  Both my parents are clumsy.  It would figure my natural talent is not something that requires balance and precise body movements.  Some people have a natural talent for all things athletic, others have musical talents.  Whatever our natural talent is, God would have us use it for the benefit of others.

Spiritual Gifts are different than talents.  The gifts of the Spirit are outlined specifically in 1Corinthians 12 - 14.  Every believer receives a Gift from the Holy Spirit for the purpose of building up the Church.  What I find interesting in the Church today, is that not everyone seems to be aware of their spiritual gift and/or is not using the gift for the purpose it was given.  How many of our churches have the majority of the work being done by just the leadership team, but not by the average congregational member?  How can we learn each other's gifts to work together for God's purpose?

Let's start with the basic step.  Get to know each other.  Meet each other for coffee before the church service starts.  Find out what every person has been gifted to do.  Wouldn't a local church look very different if every believer had a role to play?

As you turn on the Olympic games, pay attention to the team sports and pairs.  Look at the complete dependence the athletes have for each other, and the complete dedication.  To me, this is an illustration of the early church.

All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord's Supper), and to prayer.  A deep sense of awe came over them all, and the apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders.  And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had.  They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need.  They worshipped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord's Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity - all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people.  And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved.  (Acts 2:42-47 NLT)


2 comments:

  1. It is sad but true concerning "we" the church as a whole. And I'm looking at my own reflection on my "Mac" as I write this.

    Carl Middleton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fellow Mac user in the blogging world. Nice to know I'm not alone.

      Delete