Saturday, January 25, 2014

Hearing Voices


Forgive me for staying on the topic of hearing another week.  I have been struggling with a faulty hearing aid that needed to be returned, and ultimately replaced.  This brings me to another fun fact about me.  Everyone's voice changes whenever I have a new hearing aid.  What?

If you remember a couple weeks ago, I described my natural ears as "mute" without the help of hearing aids.  I don't really know what things sound like without them.  Hearing aids are great, but they are artificially set up by the hearing aid technician.  The way things sound depends on the setting of the hearing aid, and every hearing aid has a slightly different sound.  This week, I walked out of the hearing aid shop, and walked into a creepy parallel world from The Twilight Zone, where everyone looks the same, but sounds completely different.  It's unnerving to try to learn people's voices every few years.  People wonder why I don't recognize voices on the phone, or celebrities in animated films.  Actually, I do recognize one celebrity voice.  Captain Kirk (William Shatner) has a very recognizable voice.  It's funny that he is the one I can pick out.  I think it has more to do with the cadence of his speech.  Not sure what I am talking about?  Click the link for a YouTube sample Captain Kirk's Constitutional Speech.

One person's voice never changes.  I have heard His voice the same way since I became a believer.  This is the voice of Jesus who speaks directly to my spirit (my heart).  I am His sheep.  Consider a verse I posted last week.  "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  I give them eternal life, and they will never perish.  No one can snatch them away from me, for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else.  No one can snatch from the Father's hand.  The Father and I are one." ~John 10:27-30 (NLT)

It doesn't matter that you sound funny to me.  God speaks to me in a way that I never fail to hear and know.  I could have the whole world on "mute" and I would still hear His voice.   You can hear Him too, if you would follow Him and become one of His sheep.  

(One last hearing aid fact: the newest models have a preprogrammed voice that speaks into my ear.  The hearing aid technicians can program the voice that speaks.  I chose the male british voice (smile).   No one else can hear the voice in my head.  He's my private reminder that I need batteries.  Imagine my disappointment when today, the voice in my ear spoke in a plain American accent!)

Have a great week, and listen for the voice of Jesus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment