Saturday, October 13, 2012

Walking in Darkness

"Soon the world will no longer see me, but you will see me.  Since I live, you also will live." John 14:19

I'm taking a detour from my normal posts about Science Fiction to write down a vision I had many years ago.  I'm not sure why I keep going back to this, as I normally don't remember my dreams.  This one was so vivid, that I just felt compelled to write about it.


I find myself standing in a darkly lit room; large; drafty.  It's noisy and there are many people milling about.  They don't seem to be moving toward any specific place and there appears to be no exit from this place.  Just a dark room with people milling about.  I try to figure out what is going on, when I notice each person who is milling about carries a package.  It seems like a heavy package, and it has some kind of wrapping around it, like a gift.  The packages are identical, and every person in the room, milling about carries this package.  I look down, and I realize I am carrying that package too.  I ask someone what is in the package, and they merely look at me, and continue to wander.  The package is compelling.  I wonder what is inside.  I can't wait to open the package.  I find myself obsessing about the package and no longer pay attention to the people.  Then I notice I can't breathe under the weight of the package, and I put the package down.


Suddenly, I see a bright beam of light shining down into the middle of the room! It is a single beam of light.  I don't know why I didn't see it before.  It is so obvious to me now.  I want to go to the light.  I'm tired of wandering around in the dark.  So, I pick up the package and get ready to go to the light.  But, the light is gone.  It is dark again.  Where did the light go?  I am panicking.  I run to the other people and ask, "Did you see it?" But they just look at me blankly and continue to wander.  I want the light.  I want that light so much more than I have ever wanted anything.  I am saddened that it is gone, and I put the package down to get ready to sit down and cry, when the light reappears!

It dawns on me, that somehow, I was blinded to the light so long as I carried that package, but as soon as I put it down, I could see it.  I run to the light, now unencumbered and free.  Just as I get ready to get into the light, I look back.  There they were.  All those people, still burdened by that package they carried.  They could not see what I could see.  I then realize my responsibility is to help those people see the light, so that they may be saved.  I have to help them be free from the burdens they carry.

Let's explore some of the components of this vision.  Ephesians 5:8 indicates that we once were full of darkness, but now have light from the Lord.  John 3:19-20 says that God's light came into the world, but people loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil.  All who do evil hate the light and refuse to go near it for fear their sins will be exposed (NLT).  I think the people milling about were carrying the burden of sin, all wrapped up as a package they desired.  Because the sin package was what they focused on and desired, they could not see the light that is God.  They were blind.  What can we do to help people recognize God's light, when they are so consumed by sin?

How can we show them the beauty of God?

"But those who do what is right come to the light so others can see that they are doing what God wants." John 3:21 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment