Saturday, July 14, 2012

What is the Stuff You're Made Of?

The First Avenger
The Captain America story is one of my favorites.  Here is a synopsis in case you haven't seen it.  A scientist develops a formula that enhances all the qualities a person already has inside.  The formula will turn a good man into a great man, but it also turns a bad man into an evil man.  This scientist was forced to give the formula to a man already known as evil and somewhat mad.  The result was a villain known as the Red Skull.




The Red Skull terrorized the people of Europe in the dark days.  The scientist needed to find just the right man to defeat him.  The man who has intensive loyalty, goodness and bravery.




He found that man in 90 pound Steve Rogers.  Steve possessed a tremendous desire to protect others from bullies.  He could not stand the idea of others like him getting kicked around.  He would die to save others without hesitation.  The scientist administered the formula.  Steve transformed into a great superhero known as Captain America.


Captain America continues Steve's great traits of loyalty, bravery and goodness.  He uses his enhanced traits to save many men from the evil ones.  I find myself wondering if I was given the formula, what would be enhanced?  Would the formula enhance my good traits or my hidden bad traits?  Would I be good for the world or would I harm the world?

I have to admit to myself, my enhanced traits would not be pretty if I did not have the Spirit of God dwelling in me.  My sin nature is proud, selfish, willful and rebellious.  I am unable to love others in this sinful state.  God has transformed me into a person that can love (with his help).  I can be a person who gives humbly, but only with his help.  Bottom line, I can only be good in Christ.  No formula will do it, since my natural state is not good.

"Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples." (John 13:35 NLT)
"This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you.  There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends." (John 15:12-13 NLT)


No comments:

Post a Comment