Sunday, July 22, 2012

Are you Hiding?

Who was the real hero of Gotham?
I was able to watch the latest Batman movie on the opening weekend.  As I watched it, I was compelled by the characters that surrounded the title hero.  I loved the way Alfred goads his employer to be better.  I was compelled by the rise of another moral police officer.  I even enjoyed watching Catwoman struggle between doing the right thing and doing the selfish thing.  The Batman character was well done, but for some reason, I couldn't identify with him.

I found myself instead focusing on the humanness of the character of Commissioner Gordon.  I pained with him in his longtime coverup of what really happened.  Of his compulsion to allow Truth to emerge.  Of his decision to allow personal pain continue for the greater good.  What really compelled me into his character was his continued resolution to justice.  He was always concerned about the citizens of Gotham.  He continued to work even in the dark days of snow, when all hope was lost.  And in his weakness, he was able to save Gotham.

How can someone so weak become someone so important?  He was able to motivate others to fight with him.  He found them hiding, and compelled them to come out and stand with him.  He would not hide.  His actions remind me of the events on 9-11 and what must have taken place on the fourth plane. These people stood together and fought.  They effected change for the greater good.  We need to live our lives championing for the rights of one another.  We cannot afford to run away and hide.  We will not tolerate the bullying of others.  We will stand together to fight.

If you are a believer in Christ, but you are afraid to speak about Him, or to live your life out loud for Him, then you are hiding.  Find others.  Stand together and fight for the lives of the lost.  They need you.

"Meanwhile, live in such a way that you are a credit to the Message of Christ.  Stand united, singular in vision, contending for people's trust in the Message, the good news, not flinching or dodging in the slightest before the opposition.  Your courage and unity will show them what they're up against: defeat for them, victory for you -- and both because of God."  (Philippians 1:27-28 MSG)

1 comment:

  1. Your thoughts always amaze me... they show deep insight into characters. Willetta

    ReplyDelete