Saturday, March 8, 2014

Appearances


I created a fake magazine cover to illustrate just how easy it is to pretend life is good.  How many times do we look at the people around us and think to ourselves, "Boy, he/she has it all together."  Maybe it is the confidence that person exudes when he speaks, or maybe it is the outfits she carefully puts together.  It may be the car he drives, or the job she holds.  Whatever it may be, that person has something we want: the perfect life.

How far from the truth we are! We all are broken.  It does not matter if the person seems to have it all together, they are still inside, a very broken person.  "As the Scriptures say, "No one is righteous - not even one." ~Romans 3:10.  Even though the picture to the left is me, and it does appear that I am just fine, I am not.  I have many doubts, fears and insecurities.  I fear something new daily.  In fact, my dentist told me my teeth are damaged from my constant clenching of teeth during stress.  I just hide it well (I think, anyway).

I have been thinking about how much we judge people by their appearances.  As Christians, we know we are not supposed to do this, but often times, I find myself doing this.  We mostly hear about how we should honor the poor and humble, for they shall inherit the earth.  Many of us spend time ministering to this population.  I ask if we should start working on the people who have cleverly constructed facades; the ones who won't show others their pain.  How do we reach the inner person?

Sometimes, we don't.  Sometimes we just pray for others whenever God leads us to.  Listen closely to God's words whenever you meet someone new.  Pray for them.  If you find the opportunity to talk, really get down to the things that matter to that person.  This is the key to reaching them, and connecting them to the salvation message.

"For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God's glorious standard.  Yet God, with undeserved kindness, declares that we are righteous.  He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins." ~Romans 3:23-24

The salvation message is for everyone.  


2 comments:

  1. Kathy ... The more I read your posts, the more I am convinced you have a gift. I think God has placed within your heart a true understanding of who most of us really are ... fallen man trying to reach high enough to grab hold of the savior's hand. But I have found that I couldn't reach high enough. Instead God reached way, way down and grabbed hold of my heart. I look forward to each of your posts ... many of which encourage me to keep looking for Jesus in others. You have a way with words. Bless you dear one.

    Carl M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carl. I have enjoyed your weekly posts as well.

      Delete