Friday, June 20, 2014

Lessons from Jonah

I read the book of Jonah this morning, expecting to read about the "big fish." While that was a component of the story, I was more fascinated with God's relentless pursuit of Jonah. Jonah had run away from God, the very opposite direction. But God wouldn't let Jonah go. He chased him down with a giant storm, sending him into the ocean, and saved him by this "big fish." 

Wow. This story just illustrated for me just how much we mean to God, and that if we try to run away, He will pursue us. Maybe not quite in such a scary demonstrative way, but He still wants us.
After Jonah returned to the Lord, he did what he was told and went to the sinful city of Nineveh.  He proclaimed the Lord's message, "Forty more days and Nineveh will be destroyed!"  Jonah was surprised to see the widespread repentance of the people of the city, and angered when the Lord determined to have mercy on the city.  In fact, he said, "Just kill me now, Lord! I'd rather be dead than alive if what I predicted will not happen." (Jonah 4:3 NLT)


The Lord simply replied, "Is it right for you to be angry about this?" (verse 4)

Jonah sulked.

I have often wondered about Jonah's reaction to God's mercy on the people.  Shouldn't he be glad that 120,000 people will not be killed?  Shouldn't he be glad his warning was heard?  Instead, he was so focused on his credibility as a prophet, thinking that people would think he was wrong, or a liar.

Jonah's mistake was that he was not focused on God.  He was only focused on himself.  How many times do we believers forget the "big picture" of God and God's purpose, and only think about things that are happening to us, in our lives?

I must say, I am guilty of selfish thinking far too often.  I hear the Lord asking me, "Is it right for you to be angry about this?"

How will you respond when God pursues you?  How about when he rebukes you?

No comments:

Post a Comment