Sunday, February 8, 2015

Revisiting Childhood

A couple weeks ago, I came across an interesting Facebook question: "What was your favorite children's book growing up?"  There was an overwhelming response, with over 100 people who chimed in, all with some cherished book that represented a fond memory.

 This made me reflect a bit about my own childhood experiences, and I found a couple books I remember begging to read over and over.  There was comfort in how the book would always turn out.  Later in life, I found books that my son would enjoy having read to him over and over.



Children's books take us to an earlier time, perhaps a simpler time.  When you think about your favorite children's book, what do you remember?  Do you remember how you felt when you were reading that book with your favorite adult?  I hope that we created those kind of memories for our son as he was growing up.

As I walk through the schools in my town, I feel impressed with the responsibility we have to minister to our children.  There are children living in homes without books or people to read to them.  There are children being raised by people who are not their parents.  There are children who are growing up in homes where they are not loved.  What happens to these children who don't grow up with a good memory of love and security, the kind represented by having a book read to us?  What kind of obstacles do they face as adults?

The Church has a huge responsibility.  We have only a limited time to reach these children and bring them to the security of a loving Father, who would gather them up and seat them on His lap.  I watch our children's pastors at work, and I am amazed at the transparency of their love for the children of our church.  Children's programs are important to have in our churches, but it is the relationship we can personally develop with a child that paints a better picture of the kind of relationship our Father in heaven has with us, His children.  Read the passage below for this example from scripture.

One day some parents brought their children to Jesus so he could touch and bless them.  But the disciples scolded the parents for bothering him.  When Jesus saw what was happening, he was angry with his disciples.  He said to them, "Let the children come to me.  Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those where are like these children.  I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn't receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it."  Then he took the children in his arms and placed his hands on their heads and blessed them. ~Mark 10:13-16 (NLT)

Take a few minutes and read a book to a child.  It could even be your own child or grandchild that needs another precious lap moment with you.  You are creating a wonderful memory of love they will always cherish.


No comments:

Post a Comment