Saturday, July 12, 2014

A Dream about Baseball (??)

I usually don't remember my dreams, but last week I had one that I really don't understand.  I believe it was a message, but I don't know who the message was for.  I don't even like baseball.

The scene opens up with a dad gazing lovingly at his 10-year old son who is sleeping and obviously dreaming.  Dad is able to go into his son's dream to see what he is dreaming about.  He sees his son playing catch with his favorite baseball player from the Cardinals, Adam Wainwright (starting pitcher).  Dad smiles and says, "Son, why don't you wake up, so we can play a game of catch?"  

The son resists Dad and says, "I don't want to play with you.  I want to play with HIM!" (pointing to Adam Wainwright).  He turns away from Dad who keeps on asking, "wake up."  Dad is persistent.  He finally succeeds in getting his son's attention, and gets him to face him.  The son begins to wake up, and they both start traveling to the bedroom where the son is sleeping.  

Suddenly, the dream changes, and the son is pulled back into the dream.  He is angry now at Dad for pulling him away.  Adam Wainwright is now surrounded by other ball players and does not notice the son.  The son looks back at Dad who had followed him back into the dream, and says, "I don't know you.  I know him."  He slowly walks away from Dad and moves toward his idol.  

I woke up watching Dad's facial expressions as his son rejected him.  

I have been reading the Old Testament prophets lately and have realized just how much our heavenly father pursued His people, and how many times His people rejected him.  Over and over, we see God's anger at His people who left, and over and over, we see His mercy renewed.  I can picture our God as the "Dad" in my dream, and His people as the "son" in my dreams.  We are constantly chasing our idols, turning away from our God, and this saddens Him.  He wants us to wake up and be in His presence.  

Won't you give up your idols and turn into His presence?  Open your Bible and find out what God is about for yourself.  Tomorrow is Sunday.  Find a church to attend with your family.

"This is all the more urgent, for you know how late it is; time is running out.
Wake up, for our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed."
~Romans 13:11 (NLT)

2 comments:

  1. God wants us to hit a home run when we're up at bat. But how we play, home run or strike out doesn't change His love for us. I've struck out spiritually more times than I've hit a home run. Even so, He walks me to the car and takes me back home and gets me ready for the next game. But it's not a game is it?

    ReplyDelete