Saturday, September 8, 2012

Struggling to Find Balance


Star Trek: The Original Series (TOS) first aired 46 years ago Friday.  I've been a fan of the various series that have been part of the franchise since I was a little girl.  Of the characters of TOS, my favorite is Mr. Spock.

Spock is a being who cherishes logic and order, and does not always appreciate emotions.  Half-human, half-Vulcan, he struggles to bring balance to his world.  His character is the one I can most identify with.  Like Spock, I really like things in a orderly way, and when problems are laid out in an orderly manner, I can usually find a solution.  When things are highly charged with emotions and chaos, I am not as functional.  Spock had a deeply seated emotional center, and struggled to keep his emotions hidden.  I do this too.  Some days I even wonder if I even have emotions.  However, on the days I am faced with multiple illogical problems, I find that emotions can overwhelm me.

I find solace in Jesus Christ, who died once and rose again to save us.  I am able to see the logic of the gospel message, and from there, see the emotions of what the ultimate sacrifice was for me. Daily prayer and reading keeps me centered on the things that are important.  This has become a needed ritual for me.  This could be the answer for you, if you find yourself becoming "illogical."

"So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God.  There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most." ~Hebrews 4:16 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment