Sunday, January 5, 2014

Overcoming Fear


Batman Begins was released in 2005, but still captivates me.  This is a storyline articulating how the Batman came to be.  Batman has always been a darker superhero, and one with no superpowers.  He is the ultimate vigilante.  But how does a person become a superhero?

This movie discusses that it was fear that motivated Bruce Wayne.  Fear that he desperately wanted to overcome.  As a child, Bruce fell into a well, broke his arm, and was overcome by bats.  Bats terrified him ever since.  As an adult, he would experience paralyzing nightmares.  Shortly after this fall, Bruce watched his parents get murdered on the streets.  He grew up angry, fearful and alone.

Bruce resolved to face his fears head-on.  He trained to avenge his parents' murder.  When attempting to develop an alter ego, he remembered his old fear of bats.  When asked by Alfred, his faithful butler and caretaker, "Why bats, sir?", he simply says, "Bats frighten me.  It's time my enemies share my dread."  He chose to use what still frightens him for his strength.

How many times does God help us with our paralyzing fears?  There are many examples of people who had fear in the Bible.  I'd like to focus on David, who wrote about fear so much in the Psalms.  Every time David experienced fear, he also remembered his God, and called on him in faith.  God would provide comfort and strength for David when he needed it.

I have experienced fear that has been powerful enough to affect my decisions.  When I was little, I was afraid of a neighborhood dog, so much that I found other ways to go home.  Today I have a different fear.  I am painfully shy, so much that I would avoid social situations if I could.  However, in my job, in my life, it is not allowable to be hidden in a retreat, so I face my fears and smile.  God has given me strength to teach children, and later to teach their teachers.  I found the strength to deliver training to my adult peers.  God gave me the gift of teaching.  I still struggle to be social in social gatherings, but God makes sure there is at least one friendly person in the mix I can talk with.

What fears do you have that God can (or has) help you overcome?  I'd love to hear your examples.  In the meantime, experience these words of comfort from David.

The Lord is my light and my salvation -
so why should I be afraid?
The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger,
so why should I tremble?
When evil people come to devour me,
when my enemies and foes attack me,
they will stumble and fall.
Though a mighty army surrounds me,
my heart will not be afraid.
Even if I am attacked,
I will remain confident.
Wait patiently for the Lord.
Be brave and courageous.
Yes, wait patiently for the Lord.
~Psalm 27:1-3, 14 (NLT)


No comments:

Post a Comment